Mission Statement of the San Carlos Airport Association
Our mission is to promote and protect San Carlos Airport and its flight operations, and to enhance the safety and spirit of General Aviation through participation in local community activities.
SCAPA is a non-profit, 501c3 organization founded in February 1986, by Herb Foreman and Walt Ramseur with the assistance of a core group of other supportive pilots based at San Carlos Airport. Jay White, President of California Pilots Association, provided guidance in writing SCAPA’s by-laws and constitution. The original idea behind SCAPA’s founding was to organize pilots based at San Carlos Airport into a force that would work to keep San Carlos Airport open into the next millennium. At the time, it was apparent that cooperation needed to be cultivated with community and governmental agencies regarding noise and safety issues and proposed airport projects. Camaraderie among fellow pilots was also an important element of the organizing effort.
Today, SCAPA is run by a thirteen-member Board of Directors and is one of the largest airport pilot groups in the nation with over 300 members.
- Be a powerful advocate of San Carlos Airport by effectively promoting the Airport’s interests to local government agencies and the general public and by successfully addressing issues that could potentially threaten San Carlos Airport such as noise complaints and incompatible land use.
- Inform our membership about the current state of affairs at San Carlos Airport.
- Organize educational meetings at which aviation topics of widespread interest are discussed. Topics include, but are not limited to:
- Aviation Safety
- Noise Abatement Procedures
- Aircraft New Product Innovations
- Flying Adventures
- Local Political and Environmental Status
- Aircraft Operational Techniques
- Aviation History including Military and Airline-Commercial
- Educate the general public on the benefits of General Aviation.
- Foster communication and camaraderie among pilots.
- Lobbied successfully for the approval of the San Carlos Airport Master Plan, an airport modernization project that includes new hangar construction; installation of an ASOS; replacement of the existing VASIs with PAPIs; and other infrastructure improvements.
- Advocated effectively for avigation easements to be granted in favor of San Mateo County by various developers proposing to build housing and commercial projects near the San Carlos Airport. An avigation easement is the most effective way to ensure that occupants of buildings located near an airport are aware of the noise impacts of airport operations.
- Spearheaded the effort that led to the passage of Assembly Bill 2776. This bill increases the scope and value of disclosure given to purchasers of homes within the vicinity of an airport
- Successfully negotiated with the San Mateo County Tax Collector’s office for local pilots to receive a refund of improperly assessed aircraft property tax penalties.
- Launched a letter-writing campaign to State legislators to save funding for the Caltrans Division of Aeronautics. San Carlos Airport benefits from Caltrans Division of Aeronautics’ grant programs.
What You Get For Your $25 Annual Dues
- Subscription to our newsletter Crosswinds
- Annual SCAPA Barbecue
- General Membership Meetings featuring speakers on a wide variety of aviation topics
- Knowledge that you are supporting a group of aviation enthusiasts who want to keep San Carlos Airport open and viable for its users
To join SCAPA, please go to: http://www.sancarlosairport.org/membform.htm
Our Mailing Address
San Carlos Airport Association
P.O. Box 1183
San Carlos, CA 94070